La Laguna is the first town founded in Tenerife after it was conquered in 1496 by ships from the mainland. At that time, the aborigines had already settled in La Laguna, but it was with the annexation to the Crown of Castile that it began to be what we know today.
Its origins date back to the 16th century, but it was not until 1819 that it became a cathedral. It currently looks like this due to the reconstruction it underwent at the beginning of the 20th century, with its striking neoclassical façade being the only element that remains of its former appearance.
In this square we can find the Town Hall, the courthouse, the Hermitage of San Miguel and the Convent of Santa Catalina. The most striking feature of this convent is its characteristic latticed balcony, which comes from Marseilles and was placed in the place it occupies in 1870.
This church is located between Doctor Olivera and Concepción squares. This building is the result of the rebuilding of the church in 1974, as in 1972 the church suffered the collapse of several naves.
One of the most beautiful and main streets of La Laguna is Calle Herradores. It starts at the Plaza del Adelantado, where we can see in its first stretch some of the main stately homes that were occupied by merchants and nobles.